The patented Donut Personal Controlled Descent Device is the offshore industry standard. It was designed and developed in a response to the Piper Alpha tragedy, with the cooperation of the UK Regulatory Authorities and North Sea operators.
DONUT Multiple Escape System
It is virtually impossible for an evacuee to gain entry into a throw-over liferaft without the use of the Donut Personal Controlled Descent Device. This is due to the difficulty caused by apposing wind and sea conditions. With the use of an additional strap that attaches to the painter line of the liferaft, the user is guided towards the liferaft during descent. More importantly, once in the water, the risk of the user being washed away is greatly alleviated. The Donut provides the user a guaranteed entry to the safety of the liferaft.
The Donut Multiple Escape System provides the most enhanced and cost-effective alternative to chute based systems, for operators in meeting their safety case requirements for secondary and tertiary escape preparedness. The package consists of:
Donut Descent Devices
Available in a range of descent lengths.
Available in a range of sizes to store Donut units and other survival equipment if required.
Donut Escape Station
Designed and Fabricated to Clients specific requirements
SOLAS Approved Inflatable Liferaft
The Donut Descent Device can be used in conjunction with any manufacturers liferafts.
Advantages of Donut over conventional methods of evacuation:
- Cost – if properly maintained and re-certified, the Donut need only be purchased once within the lifetime of an asset.
- Inspection – Donut requires to be inspected only once every 4 years within a recognised inspection scheme.
- Fixed means, can’t reach them, can’t use them – Donut is highly portable allowing the user to choose the best time and position to make their escape.
- Multi-user system, people may have to wait their turn – Donut is one man, one use, with no reliance to wait for others.
- Physical effort – Donut requires no physical strength by the user to operate.
- Once at the bottom the user has no other option than to enter water – Donut allows the user to stop their descent and lock off above the water, remaining dry, visible and warm to await rescue.
- No provision for casualties – Donut Rescue can be used to evacuate injured or unconscious personnel.
Donut also provides various options for hire of Donut units: short term hire for time of recertification, long term hire to cover increase of POB at time major maintenance programs or shut down, whereby hiring is more favourable to purchasing, helping spread the costs with a low daily hire rate.
Donut provides full back-up for product recertification and have in place a reminder service, whereby we advise the owner/operator on the recertification status of all Donut units installed onboard their installations, allowing certification compliance to be maintained at all times.
Donut Personal Controlled Descent Devices are available in standard descent lengths of 15mtrs, 32mtrs, 46mtrs, 65mtrs & 76mtrs and in either liferaft compatible (guided escape to raf) or standard (vertical descent) model types. Longer lengths available on special order.